Child Safety Tips
Teach a child under age 5 to:
- Say “no” if someone does anything to make him or her feel uncomfortable.
- Refuse gifts from people he or she doesn’t know.
- Kick, hit or make noise if forced into a building or car.
- Never give directions to an adult who says he or she is lost.
- Go to the nearest cashier if lost or separated from you in a store.
Your child should be able to dial 9-1-1 in an emergency.
A school-aged child should:
- Never invite anyone into the house without permission of a parent.
- Know the dangers of the internet.
- Avoid empty parks, fields or alleys.
- Tell you where he or she is at all times.
Your child should give up money, clothing or other belongings to an attacker and then RUN AWAY.
As a parent you should:
- Avoid putting your child's name on clothing or toys.
- Check references of baby sitters and day care.
- Pick a secret word.
- Establish a “phone-tree” contact procedure with friends, neighbors and family.
- Keep an eye on your child.